Sunday, December 20, 2015

Recipe Box: Gingerbread Cookies

Image: here

As Christmas draws near, I find myself facing the panic of searching for gifts for my friends. Considering our very meager college bank accounts, I am of the opinion that none of us should feel compelled to buy gifts. A dinner together is what I am content with. However, each year we get the message in our group text, "We need to hang out. I have your Christmas gifts" and I go into cardiac arrest. You can't receive and not give a gift for Christmas! So in recent years, I have resolved to combat this by baking a bag of cookies for each of my friends. Last year was sugar cookies with homemade icing. This year, I have been in the mood to bake some delicious gingerbread cookies.

Turning to Pinterest, I've discovered the recipe from The Parsimonious Princess. The recipe is simple and contains just a few ingredients compared to some of the other recipes I considered. I am not baking until Tuesday, but I wanted to share with you now in the case that you too are searching high and low for a Christmas cookie recipe!

What you need:
- 1 1/2 c. (3 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c. molasses
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 5 c. all-purpose flour

What to do:
- Combine butter and sugar in large bowl until smooth. Incorporate eggs on at a time.
- Add molasses and mix
- Combine baking soda, spices, and flour in a separate bowl. Add the wet mixture. Mix until smooth
- Let the dough chill for a couple of hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness
- Cut into desired shapes and place on lined or greased cookie sheet
- Bake 10-12 minutes
- Cool. Decorate. Enjoy.

<3 Ashley

What is your go-to Christmas cookie?

1 comment: