Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Book Club: The Vacationers


Finally! I have finally gotten around to reading the book that was on everyone's summer reading lists last year (and still a few this year!) The Vacationers by Emma Straub is quite honestly the perfect beach/poolside read as everyone claims. Granted...I did not read it on a beach or pool chair--I read it at work on my lunch breaks. Hey, you take what you can get!

The story follows a family, the Posts, on their last trip together before their youngest daughter, Sylvia, starts college. A lot has gone down in this family in the months leading up to the trip to the picturesque island of Mallorca. Tension has collected between Franny and Jim since Jim's affair with a college student became knowledge. Things are not exactly coming up daisies for the other couples on the trip either. Sylvia is stuck in this house on an island with these couples and their problems all while she is determined to shed the skin of her high school self and embrace college as a totally new person with the help of the hot Spanish tutor Franny hired for her. ;)

I read this on very quickly--I have a feeling that there's a lot of personal drama in a story I will be invested. Every few pages would earn a jaw-drop from me and the words "No he didn't!" I enjoyed reading as each couples story became even clearer with each and every chapter of the trip. The story moved well; each chapter is one day in the trip (14 chapters for two weeks) which made it so much easier to understand how things developed (or fell apart!) as their time in Mallorca passed. I would definitely recommend this for someone looking for a lazy summer read. 

Happy I can finally check this off the list!

<3 Ashley

Have you read The Vacationers? What did you think?

2 comments: