One of the reasons I love going home over breaks (aside from the obvious I get to see my family and friends) I get to experiment a bit more with my cooking. I do that here at school to an extent; but I can do more at home since I don't have to rely on myself to buy the food--does that make me a bad child? I'm a college kid on a budget...it's the truth! Over Thanksgiving break I found a recipe for roasted mushroom and brie soup. I made and OH MY! It was too good not to share!
- 1 1/2 lbs mushrooms, sliced
- olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 c. white wine
- 4 c. vegetable broth
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 4 oz. brie cheese (1-inch pieces)
- Salt + pepper
Step by Step:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice mushrooms (if you buy them whole like I do) and spread them out on a line cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and put in oven for 25 minutes, mixing once half way through.
- In a medium saucepan on the stove, melt butter over medium heat and add onions. Cook 5-7 minutes. Toss in garlic and thyme and continue cooking until fragrant. Add flour and stir about a minute.
- Pour in wine and deglaze pan. Pour in vegetable broth and add mushrooms. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add brie and heavy cream. Let cheese melt and fish out the rinds if you didn't remove them beforehand. Salt and pepper to taste
- Puree in blender until desired consistency is reached. Serve and enjoy!
Will you try this recipe? What are your favorite soups when it gets cold outside?