Thursday, December 18, 2014

Being a Part-time Family Historian


So this past semester I have spent a lot of my downtime on the internet (no...not on Facebook...all the time) doing research on my family. It took one episode of "Who Do You Think You Are" where celebrities go through research to learn more about their families and where they came from. Since the semester has ended and I am back at home, I have been able to spend even more time scouring the world wide web for information about where I come from. I did not think I would find much--we all think are families are pretty standard and run-of-the-mill, right?

I'm still waiting to break into the 19th century on my dad's side of the family since Italian and Norwegian records are not so accessible and that side of the family is relatively new to the United States. My mother's side of the family is a completely different story. I have learned so much more than I thought I would, and it's all through my grandmother's line. I have discovered this gem by the name of Desolate Baker who has quite the interesting story; lots of sex, man! I have also discovered that also in this portion of my family tree, two of his great-grandchildren married each other...so there's that. In the past few days though, I have discovered some even more exciting individuals. On one hand there is Mr. George Hudson who fought in the Revolutionary War and was a scout for George Washington during the Christmas 1776 attack on the British. Even further back his line I discovered that one of my relatives was brother to Henry Hudson III, the explorer after whom the Hudson River and Bay are named. You'd be amazed with what you are able to find online!

<3 Ashley

Have you found any interesting individuals in your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment