Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The Chronicles of a Morning Person


I always get comments from my roommates about how I am always the first one up in the morning (unless they have 8 AMs!) and how I am rarely ever dragging my feet. I have never really considered myself a morning person--or rather I hadn't thought about it--but since they have started saying something about it I guess it is safe to say that "My name is Ashley, and I am a morning person."

When I really get down to thinking about it, I have kind of always been this way. My parents always took us to our elementary school before-school program since they worked early so I was usually up at 5:30 or 6 in the morning. This carried over into high school since we lived like 25 minutes from the school and our house was the first on the bus' route. I think it's safe to say that I didn't choose the morning life...it chose me.

Now in college, while I do appreciate those days where I get to sleep in until 11 AM because of a late night out, I still wake up every day at 8 AM whether I really need to or not. I find the mornings are a very useful time where I can relax and get things done at a good pace. I thought today that I would share a bit of my AM schedule with you guys.

8 AM: The alarm on my phone goes off and I have to lay in bed for at least 10 minutes (unless it's a really good day) and encourage myself to start the day.

8:15 AM: Roughly the time I start showering. This is where I really wake up. Ten seconds under some cold water can really make you alert!

8:30 AM: I like to try and get some light physical activity in to start the day. I usually try to find a light yoga or pilates routine to fill about 15-20 minutes.

Somewhere between 8:45 and 9 AM: Make breakfast. Since I now have a kitchen in the equation of my college life I like to make oatmeal or omelettes in the morning. Once in awhile when I have an earlier class or I start work early--towards the end of the week--I just mix up some yogurt and berries.

While I am eating I like to catch up on the news. I'm not the type of person to read an entire page of copy on CNN; I just don't have the patience. Instead I have an email subscription to TheSkimm. I love getting this in my inbox daily; it quickly became part of my morning routine.


9:30 AM: After my breakfast is done and I have been updated on the goings on in the world, I head on back to my desk (or bed!) and do blog work with the help of my friend, Dunkin Dark Roast. I also listen to some chill tunes; if you are a Spotify user--sorry, T-Swift!--check out the playlist Your Favorite Coffeehouse. Hands down my favorite thing to listen to in the morning. Great songs!

From 10:30 on depending on the day it is, I tie up any loose ends on assignments for the day if I still need to. Then I enter the process of trying to get myself ready to go out into the world!

<3 Ashley

What is your morning routine like? Are you a early bird or a night owl?

No comments:

Post a Comment