Monday, June 8, 2015

On Meeting a Cheese I Didn't Like


Yes. It happened. Last night I was preparing what was intended to be a delicious little dinner--spinach and artichoke grilled cheese--when the seemingly impossible happened. I am a big cheese lover; I think I may get it from my mother. We love shopping for cheeses to cut up and snack on during the week. This recipe did not call for some wild or exotic cheeses. I was merely dealing with mozzarella and parmesan.

Now, my mother and I have also been actively trying to keep our eating organic and relatively healthy with a little bit of wiggle room. When we were at the store buying what we needed we were in the organic section and I spotted some mozzarella and thought, "Hmmm. Cheese not concocted with chemical or something. Great throw it in the cart!" And we lived happily ever after.

False. Fast forward to dinner and I--luckily--decide to sample the organic cheese to find out, surprise, this is not cheese. This is an imposter. This is disgusting. Upon reading the packaging--something you should do prior to purchase--I discover that it is dairy, lactose, soy and gluten free. Is this even cheese at this point? I actively refused to put in my sandwich and opted instead to slice up some gouda, which proved to be pretty good! What happened to the fake cheese? We tossed it. I respect vegans for their lifestyle and sticking to it, but now I can confirm that this will never be my lifestyle.

The lesson here today, folks: shop smart. Read the packaging. Don't skimp on cheese.

<3 Ashley

Are you a cheese lover?

No comments:

Post a Comment