Saturday, January 9, 2016

Pick Up a Good Book

Image: here

The first thing that I do when I sit down to eat my breakfast in the morning, is open up my laptop and do some reading. I check out theSkimm that is sitting in my inbox that morning (during the week!) and I check out the features on The Everygirl. This morning, the first thing that I read was a piece about finding more time to read in 2016. One of my resolutions for the year was to read more - so far so good.

As I was reading, I thought about all of the times that I have complained about not being able to find time to read. I always say that school gets in the way with all of the paper writing and academic reading. However, that's not the best excuse. I do have the time to read a little every day; that time just gets filled with Netflix binges or wasted hours taking Buzzfeed quizzes.

I know I am not the only one who is guilty of this - all of my roommates and friends have shared the same sentiment. After a day of classes or work, there is so much allure to turning the brain off and tuning in to the television for entertainment. Over the holiday break I started my efforts to bring casual reading back into my routine. I'm currently reading Flappers and Philosophers, a collection of short stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald, so what I do is I will read a section or two of whatever story I am on every morning and before I go to bed. Reading in the morning means that I have also resolved to wake up a bit earlier than I would typically so that I can get a good thirty minutes of reading in before I start the rest of my routine.

So far I have been doing a good job of keeping up with this plan. Hopefully it doesn't start fading out!

<3 Ashley

How to do you find time to keep up with your reading list?

1 comment: