Tuesday, January 6, 2015

It's Time To Scale Back


Recently my views on social media have taken an unprecedented turn. Two months ago, I was just like your average 20 year old female; you could look at my phone and see that. On there you would find apps for Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr and Snapchat. Look at my phone now and it is a completely different scenario. What was once the device with which I could keep tabs on everyone--cyber-stalking is a thing and I am a professional--is now less powerful and stays in my pocket most of the time.

Over the break I took it upon myself to clean house a bit and really think about technology and its role in my life. It had completely taken over! I could not sit still for more than two minutes without breaking out the iPhone and seeing what the Twitter population was up to. One day I woke up and decided that I am better than that! There are better ways for me to pass the time. The amount of good books that I could read if you take all of the time I have spent on social media is ridiculous. I started that day by deleting my Twitter account as well as my Snapchat--for which I was already developing a burning hatred. The Facebook account is still around, however, it is no longer on my phone. Instagram and Pinterest get to stay because they are amazing. I still don't know what to do with Tumblr. I may delete it since I don't really use it anymore.

Honestly, I feel so much better since I have scaled back on social media. If people want to talk to me, they can do it via text, email, snail mail, or by you know...talking to me in person. Personal interaction is an art that I think many have lost and I have decided to not be one of those people. Project Interact 2015 has begun! Join me?

<3 Ashley

What are your thoughts on social media? Do you feel caught up in this oversharing world we have created?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! So good what you did with your phone! Amazing!

    WritingMonique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so much better since I did it. I find myself less distracted--which is good since I am a student haha!

      Delete