Monday, January 15, 2018

Money Matters in 2018

Image via

As I talked about in my last post, 2018 is going to be a year dedicated to really taking care of and bettering myself. A big part of that self-care is being smart about how I save and spend my money.

Looking at my bank account is often a very nerve-wracking task, but it can be especially painful immediately after the holidays. I know I can't be the only one out here, right?

One of the things that has really bothered me in the time between graduating college and starting my first job is the depletion of the savings account that I had be saving essentially since birth. The big reason for that was not having a solid job before my student loans repayments kicked in. But having been in my new position for about a year and moving into my new place and developing and understanding of my budget month-to-month, I feel more comfortable putting away money from each paycheck into a savings account to build that back up.

I also want to improve my budgeting to ensure that moving that bit of money over to my savings is not as painful as it would have been when I initially started out. I rely on apps like Mint to let me know when I am spending too much in a certain area, like entertainment or eating out (which I need to cut back substantially on!) I'm also looking at certain products I can spend less on.

Pro tip: TJ Maxx has a great selection of products like shampoo/conditioner in large salon pump bottles that will take you a bit further than the products in the drug stores. Plus, it's just so much fun to browse through the unique brands and products that they carry each time I walk into the store.

I have doubled down on making my coffee at home each morning before I leave for work. I use a French press, so it's an actual process to make it, but the end product is just so much better than anything I get at Starbs.

As I mentioned before, eating lunch out is a huge weakness of mine. It's hard to find soup or a salad appetizing after sitting through a two hour long meeting that ends right in the neighborhood of lunchtime. But the sandwiches from the conveniently located Mediterranean restaurant downstairs are no more (or at least they will be significantly reduced!) I've started making large pots of soup to take for lunch during the week. And if I do say so myself, I've produced some very yummy dishes!

I've also started using more budget-friendly products, like Harry's razors, which can be found at Target. They are less price-y than many women's razors (that pink tax, amirite?) and tbh provides a better shave. For the first time in a long time, buying razor refills doesn't stress me out because the refill pack I usually get is less than $10!

Cutting down on spending doesn't mean you are cutting out the enjoyable, luxurious things. You can find luxury without dropping a good portion of your paycheck in one shopping trip. Look around and find those things that work wonders for you. You might be surprised at how much it DOESN'T cost you.

-Ashley

How will you make a point of saving in 2018?

4 comments:

  1. I've been trying to save some money and reading this post has inspired me to actually do it and stop spending on random useless stuff! x

    Ariadna || RAWR BOWS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always so hard to save! I think just surrendering to the fact that you're going to slip up helps. I feel like when I remember that I make fewer panic purchases haha!

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd, Hepatitis, Diabetes, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids&Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small faction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with. He cure tthe following diseases below...1. Herpes 2. cancer 3. HIV / AIDS 4. hepatitis 5. Bring my ex back 6. Leprosy 7. SARS 8. Bubonic plague
    9. Cerebrovascular disease 10. Lower respiratory infections 11. Syphilis 12. Influenza A-H1N1 (swine flu) 13.Ischemic heart disease 14. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 15. Whooping cough 16. Perinatal complications 17. diarrhea 18 .. lung cancer.

    ReplyDelete